Saturday, September 21, 2013

True Colors

At first I was not expecting the Myers Briggs test to come up with any realistic results that actually matched up with me. I assumed it would just be extremely vague answers of who you are so you could take it however you want, but it actually came back fairly straightforward and accurate for me. You can tell that it matches up with the way I think, especially when considering my major. I am a fairly outgoing person and I tend to be very frank when making decisions. One of the main things the description of ENTJ says is that we "quickly see illogical and inefficient procedures and policies, develop and implement comprehensive systems to solve organizational problems" This is exactly the reason I decided that I would like to earn a living as an engineer and why I think the way that I do.

The true colors text was also oddly fitting. I didn't expect it to be very accurate, especially because there were only four possible outcomes. I was nowhere near a blue. Not even yellow. However, my main colors were green with 19 points and orange with 17 points. They're both fairly true to who I am. "For me, work is play". That's about as good as it could possibly be. I chose engineering because I want to do something where I can have fun, learn constantly, and be myself. Even while working at the RPAC, I tend to goof off (but still get my work done) and have fun with my co-workers and patrons using the facility. When we discussed the traits we all had in common in our break out sessions, we discovered we were all a bit crazy... but also that we think very logically about everything! I'm glad to know I'm not the only person that thinks that way, as my emotions rarely ever make any of my decisions at all. Taking both tests was a fun way to learn about ourselves and others.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your post because it reminded me very much of my own approach to these personality tests. To be honest, I was skeptical about the accuracy of such tests, especially since they are based on "self-reporting." I thought that everyone would get similar, cookie-cutter answers because we would all fill in the "right" answers. Like you, I was pleasantly surprised that this was not the case, and that the test results were fairly accurate. I think that these tools were especially helpful because we were able to be grouped with like-minded individuals, who I felt only added to my leadership analysis process. Discussing our similarities and differences was an eye-opening experience, and I feel like a better leader because of it. I'm glad my skepticism was wrong!

    ReplyDelete